Friday, October 24, 2008

Wanna get knocked up? HYDRATE YOURSELF!!!

It makes sense - if you're dehydrated, you're likely to have a harder time getting pregnant. I always suspected this could be true and just googled it. Sure enough, this article says: "... aside from all the vitamins and herbs (recommended), probably the most important thing you can do to improve your fertility is to drink plenty of water."

Here are two excerpts from the article that I really like (the full article is accessible through the link below it).

"The number one area that water helps with getting pregnant is that it acts much the same way guaifenesin does. It thins out the mucus. It also increases the mucus. Cervical fluid is something that is extremely important to have in order for conception to occur. Without it the sperm cannot reach the egg. Good fertile quality cervical fluid will help the sperm to reach the egg. It will also help keep the sperm alive for several days to await ovulation. This is key in how to improve fertility."

"Dehydration is the number one cause of preterm labor. When the body is dehydrated the uterus begins contracting, which leads to labor and premature birth."

http://www.stages-in-pregnancy.com/how-to-improve-fertility.html



I've been trying to get pregnant for a few months now, and nothing has happened. But one thing I suspect is that the reason it hasn't happened is because things are kind of "dry" up there. When I don't drink enough water, I can actually feel it to an extent. Like... how do I describe it... it's almost like things are "warmer" up there when you're dehydrated, and this may not be THE best climate for sperm survival.

I try to picture myself as a sperm trying to travel through my uterus, and I hate to say it, but it's not the kind of place I'd probably want to hang out. When I'm dehydrated, it's got to be like a sauna up there compared to the average, well-hydrated person. And it's also not that easy for the sperm to travel because it's just not slippery enough to keep moving forward. I don't even know what hostile mucus is but something tells me i've got it. I picture the sperm getting stuck and not being able to move around very freely because it's just too thick or not slippery enough.

But if I were to drink plenty of water and take Mucinex like they say you should, I reckon things would be a little different. So I'm planning to try that this month. We'll see what happens. I'm going to get my uterus so lubricated it's going to be like a slip and slide. Hopefully not all the sperm will slide back out the wrong way.

No comments: