Monday, May 21, 2012

How long does it take for sperm to reach an egg?



Holy moses, I had no idea those little buggers could swim so fast.  According to this article I just read, it can take just half an hour for a sperm to reach your egg.  I'm not sure why I was thinking it'd take at least 8 hours, or even a couple of days.  Apparently they can travel about 1/8 inch per minute (so, about an inch every 10 minutes, or 6 inches in an hour).

Somehow I always pictured the sperm traveling really slowly and taking it's sweet time to get where it's supposed to go. As for those women who say the sperm can last several days in their fallopian tubes.... well, good for you, but I just don't think that's the case for me. I always feel like I need to do it RIGHT when I'm ovulating.  Not a few days before. My body tends to be so dry, I just can't picture the sperm living that long in my tubes. Maybe I'm wrong but... that's just what I imagine.

Anyway, here is the article:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_it_take_sperm_to_reach_an_egg

No comments: